Figo Pet Insurance Review
Good 4.5 / 5.0
- 100% reimbursement options available
- Only a 24 hour waiting period for accident coverage
- Routine Wellness Options Available
- Pet Cloud Feature that Allows you to connect with other pet owners
- Dental ailments are not covered
- Vet Exam fees are an extra cost
- Limitations to prescription food coverage
Figo Pet Insurance
In the eyes of the law, pets are usually considered property. In your heart, however, your pet is a member of your family. Your life is enriched by their presence, and you want to do everything you can to take care of them.
Unfortunately, many pet owners must make hard choices between taking care of their pets or saving money that might be needed in the future. Fortunately, pet insurance can help to fill the void between these choices.
Figo pet insurance is one option you have that has been ranked highly by many review websites for the past several years.
An Overview of Figo Pet Insurance
Figo pet insurance is based out of Chicago, Illinois. They started operations in 2013 with pet insurance plans for both dogs and cats. Their plans are covered by:
- Markel Insurance Company
- Markel American Insurance Company
- Independence American Insurance Company
Figo participates in the North American Pet Insurance Association. This means you can connect to vets not only in the United States but also in Puerto Rico and Canada.
You can pick from three different annual plans:
- Essential Plan: $5,000 annual limit
- Preferred Plan: $10,000 annual limit
- Unlimited Plan: Unlimited benefit coverage
You can also get optional coverage for vet exam fees in cases of injury or accidents. Also, instead of per-condition deductibles, your Figo plan’s annual deductible meets all covered expenses.
The Pet Cloud App
Figo insurance customers get access to the Pet Cloud app that offers many benefits:
- Look for nearby pet owners
- Set pet play dates
- Search pet parks
- Share photos
- Locate dog walkers
- Upload medical records
- Schedule appointments and vaccinations
- Access a licensed vet professional 24/7
The Good and Bad
While Figo pet insurance is highly rated, no plan is perfect for every pet family.
- You can pick your deductible, reimbursement rate, and annual benefit
- Enjoy access to a 24/7 live pet telehealth line via the Pet Cloud app
- There are routine wellness plans available
- One plan does offer 100% reimbursement
- Accident coverage is available after a waiting period as short as one day
- Potential upgrade can cover special circumstances such as rewards and advertising for a lost pet, vacation cancellations stemming from pet emergencies, and pet loss because of straying or theft
- Money-back guarantee for first 30 days
- The wellness plan is an extra cost
- Knee injury coverage has a six-month waiting period
- Your available deductible choices will vary based on the age of your pet
- Lower deductibles aren’t available as your pet gets older
- Prescription food is only covered for bladder crystals or stones
- Dental illnesses aren’t covered
What Does Figo Pet Insurance Do?
Figo offers pet insurance for cat and dog illnesses and accidents. This helps you manage the expenses involved with related vet exams, treatments, hospitalizations, and emergency visits.
This kind of pet insurance is a lot like the health insurance you get for your own medical coverage. You will deal with an annual deductible you have to pay before the coverage applies. The policy will also list what is and isn’t covered. You also have a monthly premium you need to keep up with.
One major difference is how you pay. Human health insurance often involves a co-pay you handle when the service happens. However, with Figo Insurance for your pet, you pay the whole vet bill before filing a reimbursement claim.
Figo shares one thing in common with most other pet insurance policies in that it won’t cover any pre-existing conditions should your pet display symptoms when you buy a policy. There are exceptions, however, for conditions deemed curable when your pet is symptom-free for a year.
Certain conditions have waiting periods before coverage applies. Knee problems might be among them, so if your dog is diagnosed with a knee issue before the waiting period is over but after you bought the insurance, then your plan isn’t going to cover the related treatment.
Figo also doesn’t cover some breed-specific conditions. If you are aware that your pet has one, then you might want to shop around for insurance options that will cover them.
Each policy is different, so you need to read the specific terms and conditions. However, a typical Figo policy should cover things such as:
- Orthopedic matters such as a torn ACL
- Prescription medications
- Chronic conditions
- Hip dysplasia
- Hereditary and congenital conditions
- Wellness care is an optional add-on
- Veterinary exam fees also an optional add-on
While Figo Insurance can help you manage the health expenses associated with your pet in many ways, there are some things that just aren’t covered, including:
- Pre-existing conditions
- Experimental procedures
- Breeding pregnancy/Giving birth
- Cloning procedures
- Cosmetic surgeries like tail docking
One other thing you might notice about Figo is their lack of accident-only plans. Other pet insurers typically have these. While coverage is limited, the costs are also much more affordable than many comprehensive plans.
Insurance Coverage Levels
In addition to the three previously listed options for maximum limits, you can also choose from different deductible and reimbursement options.
Deductibles by Age Range
The set amount you need to pay prior to coverage picking up health expenses will vary based on the age of your pet. Choose from the following scales:
Pets 5 and Younger:
Pets Between 6 and 9:
Pets Between 10 or Older:
Most pet insurance pays a specific percentage of the vet bills your pet has. This is known as the reimbursement level, and Figo has several you can choose from:
Key Takeaways About Figo Pet Insurance
This pet insurance provider offers pet owners competitive pricing and helps them form social groups connecting with other animal lovers. Other items of note include:
- The Pet Cloud app makes it easy to organize medical records and schedule your veterinarian care.
- Be a part of a broader social community of pet owners by sharing photos, finding dog walkers and pet parks, and even scheduling play dates.
- Enjoy multiple options in terms of deductible, policy limit, and reimbursement percentage.
- Enjoy 24/7 telehealth access to a licensed veterinarian whenever you need help.
Click here to compare pricing and plans from all major pet insurance companies
About Our Service
ComparePetInsurance.com helps pet owners research and compare pet insurance providers. In order to keep this information free, we receive advertising revenue from some of the providers featured on our website. Read More
Pet Insurance Companies
Our mission is to provide you with helpful and detailed information about pet insurance while offering the easiest way to compare companies, plans and prices online.
Annual Coverage Limits
How Much Does Pet Insurance Cost?
Having a pet in your life is like having ..
What Is Cat Insurance and Why Should You Consider Getting It?
While your cat may be more self-sufficien..
What to Consider When Comparing Pet Insurance
For many people, pets are an important an..